Thursday, August 08, 2002

Quote for the Day

All argument against these plain facts [that miracles have been observed] is always argument in a circle. If I say, "Medieval documents attest certain miracles as much as they attest certain battles," they answer, "But medievals were superstitious." If I want to know in what they were superstitious, the only ultimate answer is that they believed in miracles. If I say "a peasant saw a ghost," I am told, "But peasants are so credulous." If I ask, "Why credulous?" the only answer is -- that they see ghosts. Iceland is impossible because only stupid sailors have seen it; and the sailors are only stupid because they say they have seen Iceland.


G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy 149-50 (1908).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home