Sunday, July 11, 2004

Color-blindness

Avery Tooley has some colorful thoughts on color-blindness. He asks:
Is it really possible for an American to not-see race? I specify American, because I know what it's like here. People I know who have gone or were born elsewhere tell me that it's different in such-and-such, but I can't speak on that. Never been there. I know this place, though.

What got me on that question is this article in the Chicago Tribune (subscription required). The subtitle is "Mixed race couples find a world that's not colorblind." That got me thinking. Is there such a thing as colorblindness?

Personally, I don't think it's possible. That's like when I hear the old standby, "I don't think of you as Black." Well then what do you think of me as?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can come darned close to color blindness when part of a larger group, at least when looking within that group. E.g., from small groups on up, I have experienced color blindness in: fraternity, some classes in school, sports team, law firm, bank, and the Marine Corps. I think that part of what makes it work, besides a culture that actively promotes color blindness, is that in the groups I mentioned, everyone has something in common, and additionally, you actually know the persons in the group; there is not the automatic assumption of non-friendliness that two strangers have when they first lay eyes on each other (which happens no matter what their color).

So, yes, it is possible. Unfortunately, it's all too rare in regular society.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in what is typically called a "lily white" suburb, and when I went off to college, met a black guy in my dorm, and got along quite well with him... Although there were some laughs when I admired his tan! You can come by color blindness in strange ways.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home