Friday, August 05, 2005

Question about Internet Explorer

Here's a question: When I'm browsing, I sometimes load several different browsers at the same time. For example, I've done some research on LEXIS, and 5 cases look to be of interest. So I right-click on each one, and open in a new browser. So five different browsers are loading at once.

Here's what then happens -- and what I want to stop. The browser that most recently loaded pops to the front. So while I'm still trying to look at the research results, I keep getting interrupted by each of the five browsers popping to the front when they've finished loading.

It's even worse when I try to pay bills online. Sometimes, I open 2 or 3 browsers at the same time. Then in the first, I start filling in my ID and password for the site in question. But then the second browser finishes loading, and I find that I'm suddenly typing part of my password for the first site into the ID field in the second site. Again, I want to stop this from happening.


S0: How do you get Internet Explorer to load different browsers in the background, without constantly popping to the front?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Switch to Mozilla Firefox. It opens new "windows" in tabs, which you can keep in the background until you want them. Plus Firefox isn't as vulnerable to attacks

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I don't think you can customize IE to change settings like that. Better to use Firefox tabbed browsing. You can also customize your browser to do all kinds of other things; for example, there's an extension called "Nuke Anything" that lets you remove things that annoy you from any Web site. Using the adblock extension, I don't have to see ads unless I want to.

The drawback is that there a few sites that you can only use with Explorer (my credit union is one), so for those sites you just have to use IE.

www.mozilla.org

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While far from an expert in MS's I.E., I feel that the problem may be that when you are commected to the Internet and any one of the I.E.s gets what it thinks is an update from the Internet, it will jump to the front of the screen. This is no a solution or telling you what can be done, but one possible cause -- besides that Bill Gates did NOT DO IT RIGHT from the start in many aspects....

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minimize the browser windows you are not using. Pull them back from the tray as you need them. A sort of poor msn's tab system.

Fred

9:23 PM  
Blogger Scrutineer said...

I suggest trying Maxthon. Loosely speaking, it's a tabbed-browser version of Internet Explorer. It's also free like Firefox.

I've used both Maxthon and Firefox quite a lot over the last year, and I prefer the former.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Brett said...

"IE is quite secure, if you have the right settings."

But I refuse to rely any more than I absolutely must on a company that ships it's products with all the defaults set to be as insecure as possible. Worse, even the right settings don't do anything about all those backdoors Microsoft installs in it's products.

Firefox or Maxthon, or whatever, the solution to IE problems is to stop using IE.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heartily recommend Maxthon
-Retain IE compatibility
-Tabbed browsing
-Plugin architecture

Or FireFox is just as good AND better in some respects...

02

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home